1/3 C walnuts or pine nuts
1-2 cloves garlic, to taste
1 lg bun. cilantro, roots and larger stems trimmed, washed and dried
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 – 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C raw vegan parmesan cheez
Salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor, finely chop nuts and garlic. Add in lime juice and cilantro, and continue processing. Drizzle in oil gradually. From time to time, stop and taste until you feel there is enough oil. Add oil if texture seems dry.
Place pesto in a mixing bowl. Fold in cheez, and season to taste with sea salt and pepper
GARLIC SCAPE PESTO
based on a recipe found at http://goldenearthworm.com
1 C garlic scapes (8 or 9 scapes), top flowery part removed, cut into ¼-inch slices
1/3 C walnuts
3/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1/4 – 1/2 C cashew/pine nut “parmesan” (see recipes below)
1/2 t salt
black pepper to taste
- Remove flowery top part of garlic scapes and cut scapes into 1/4 in. slices.
- In a food processor, combine and process scapes and walnuts until somewhat smooth.
- Drizzle olive oil slowly into mix and process until well-combined.
- Remove mixture from food processor and place in a large mixing bowl. Add salt, pepper, and cashew/pine nut “parmesan” to taste.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for 5 – 7 days.
Here are two recipes. I like the dehydrated version, which keeps well in the refrigerator, but the “instant” version is also nice.
CASHEW/PINE NUT PARMESAN (“instant”)
1/4 C pine nuts
1/4 C raw cashews, soaked for 1 hr., drained, and rinsed
1/2 sm. clove garlic
2 T lemon juice
1/2 t sea salt
- Process all ingredients to fine meal in the food processor.
CASHEW/PINE NUT PARMESAN CRUMBLE (dehydrator)
3 C cashews, soaked for 1 hr., drained, and rinsed
1/4 C pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
3 T nutritional yeast
2 t sea salt (or to taste)
- Combine cashews, pine nuts, and garlic in the food processor, and process fine.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Spread mixture on Teflex-covered dehydrator trays. Dehydrate until dry and crumbly (@ 12 hours) at 110 degrees.
Refrigerate in a tightly sealed glass jar.
Posted in cheez, CHEEZE raw vegan, garlic scapes, MY CSA Experience, MY RAW RECIPES, PARMESAN, PESTO, RAW NUT PARMESAN, RAW SEASONINGS & CONDIMENTS, RAW VEGAN PARMESAN
Tagged garlic scapes, MY CSA Experience, MY RAW RECIPES, PESTO, RAW NUT PARMESAN, RAW VEGAN PARMESAN