Based on a recipe by Elaina Love
6 C dry, raw shredded coconut
2/3 C honey or agave syrup
1/2 t. mint extract (or 3 drops peppermint essential oil)
1/8 C organic cocoa powder or raw carob powder (add until mixture reaches desired color)
1/2 t. vanilla extract
pinch cayenne pepper
1/8 t Celtic sea salt
- Blend 3 C of coconut in a dry VitaMix on low speed with the lid off and using a spatula to keep things moving until coconut takes on the consistency of butter. Do not blend so long as to separate all oil from the coconut.(If you don’t have a Vitamix, process 1 – 1/2 C at a time.)
- Remove the coconut to a mixing bowl.
- Add 1/3 C of sweetener and mint extract (or peppermint oil), and mix well with a spatula. Set aside.
- Blend remaining 3 C coconut
- In a bowl, mix the coconut and remaining ingredients by hand..
- Divide the chocolate mixture in half.. Press one half into a 4″ x 4″ baking dish or plastic container.. Freeze for 5 minutes, until solid.
- Remove frozen chocolate from freezer and layer on the mint mixture. Return to freezer for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Spread remaining chocolate mixture over the mint layer. Freeze until solid or refrigerate.
- Remove container from the freezer and remove the contents by twisting the container, or by prying up with a spatula.
- Place on a cutting board and, using a thin, sharp knife, cut into your shape of choice.