Here are two recipes for using the greens that come attached to your root vegetables (radishes, beets, turnips, etc.), or green leafy vegetables such as collards, kale, chard, and spinach.
MY FAMOUS MASSAGED MARINATED GREENS
this comes out enough like old-fashioned Southern greens to satisfy your longing for Grandmamma’s cooking.
1 bunch greens (collards, kale, beet, turnip)
5 – 10 kalamata olives, finely chopped
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, slivered (optional)
fresh garlic, finely chopped, to taste, or garlic powder (optional)
chili seasoning, to taste (optional)
1 – Roll up 2 – 3 leaves into a cylindrical “cigar” shape.
2 – With a sharp knife, thinly slice the rolled greens crosswise into ribbons.
3 – Cross-chop the “rounds”
4 – Place in a large bowl.
5 – Repeat steps 1 – 4 until all greens have been chopped.
6 – Add remaining ingredients to bowl and mix.
7 – With hands, ‘massage” greens until bulk is reduced by half.
8 – Set aside to marinate for one hour (or up to 24 hours). Alternatively, eat right away.
• After marinating, add 1/2 chopped avocado and mash into the greens with your hands, until it becomes part of the “dressing”.
• After marinating, add chopped avocado and toss.
• Add sunflower or lentil sprouts after massaging, or after marination.
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1/4 C sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 C scallions, white parts only, finely only
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t red pepper flakes
2 t sea salt, divided
1/2 t black pepper
1 bunch collard greens (or other greens)
1/8 C olive oil
1. Mix apple cider vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 t sea salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Roll up 2 – 3 leaves into a cylindrical “cigar” shape.
3. With a sharp knife, thinly slice the rolled greens crosswise into ribbons. Cross-chop the “rounds”
4. Place in a large bowl.
5. Repeat steps 1 – 4 until all greens have been chopped.
6. Add in olive oil, remaining 1 t salt, and marinade mixture.
7. Massage all ingredients until mass is reduced by half.
8. 8 -Refrigerate and marinate for 1 – 24 hours