GARLIC SCAPE PESTO
based on a recipe found at http://goldenearthworm.com
1 C garlic scapes (8 or 9 scapes), top flowery part removed, cut into ¼-inch slices
1/3 C walnuts
3/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1/4 – 1/2 C cashew/pine nut “parmesan” (see recipes below)
1/2 t salt
black pepper to taste
- Remove flowery top part of garlic scapes and cut scapes into 1/4 in. slices.
- In a food processor, combine and process scapes and walnuts until somewhat smooth.
- Drizzle olive oil slowly into mix and process until well-combined.
- Remove mixture from food processor and place in a large mixing bowl. Add salt, pepper, and cashew/pine nut “parmesan” to taste.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for 5 – 7 days.
Here are two recipes. I like the dehydrated version, which keeps well in the refrigerator, but the “instant” version is also nice.
CASHEW/PINE NUT PARMESAN (“instant”)
1/4 C pine nuts
1/4 C raw cashews, soaked for 1 hr., drained, and rinsed
1/2 sm. clove garlic
2 T lemon juice
1/2 t sea salt
- Process all ingredients to fine meal in the food processor.
CASHEW/PINE NUT PARMESAN CRUMBLE (dehydrator)
3 C cashews, soaked for 1 hr., drained, and rinsed
1/4 C pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
3 T nutritional yeast
2 t sea salt (or to taste)
- Combine cashews, pine nuts, and garlic in the food processor, and process fine.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Spread mixture on Teflex-covered dehydrator trays. Dehydrate until dry and crumbly (@ 12 hours) at 110 degrees.
Refrigerate in a tightly sealed glass jar.