Here is a salad recipe the farm posted in the newsletter
PERFECT GREEN SALAD & VINAIGRETTE
There’s nothing more delicious than a perfectly prepared green salad- especially this time of year when all the greens are tender and full of flavor!
1 lg head Boston lettuce
1/2 C Vinaigrette (recipe below)
Salt & Pepper
Chive Blossoms or chopped herbs (optional)
- Fill the sink, or a very large bowl, with lots of cold water.
- Trim the lettuce heads and drop the leaves into the water as you peel them off the head.
- Wash the leaves by tumbling them gently in the water.
- Allow the dirt and sand to settle to the bottom for a few moments, then lift the leaves out in bunches.
- Lightly shake off excess water and put leaves in the salad spinner.
- Dry them thoroughly in a salad spinner.
- Toss just before serving
- When ready to serve, drizzle about 1/3 cup of dressing over the lettuce, and toss the leaves gently with a salad spoon and fork, until they are evenly and lightly coated.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Sprinkle the chive blossoms or chopped herbs, if using, over the salad.
VINAIGRETTE IN A JAR
2 t chopped garlic
2 T Dijon-style mustard
1/2 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/4 C red- or white-wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1 C extra-virgin olive oil
- Put all the ingredients in a jar, screw on the lid, and shake very well.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more oil or vinegar, as you like.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks, and shake to blend before using.