Here are two natural recipes to clean your vegetables.and remove dust and dirt and kill any bugs and/or bacteria, for mere pennies
SPRAY FOR CLEANING PRODUCE
to clean vegetables, remove dust and dirt and kill bugs and bacteria
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 cup water
- Place all ingredients in a spray bottle (the mixture will foam up).
- Shake gently to mix
- Spray on fruit and vegetables..
- Allow sprayed produce to sit for about 2 – 5 minutes, then rinse under cold water.
Any unused spray may be refrigerated until used again,
SOAK TO CLEAN PRODUCE
to help help preserve your vegetab;es so that they will last quite a lot longer
1/4 cup vinegar
2 Tbsp salt
- To a clean sink or large basin full of cold water; add vinegar and salt and swish around with hands to mix.,
- Place produce in the water and soak for 25-30 minutes or up to an hour. (this will not affect the flavor) The vinegar cleans and the salt draws out bugs, dirt and other unwanted things, in addition to removing some of the wax which may be coating the produce)
- Rinse under cold water and dry.
The exact amounts do not really matter. A little more will not hurt, If you are using a smaller bowl then reduce the vinegar to 2 T and reduce the salt to 1 T. It will work just as well.